Okay...so one of the most important things I have learned since going thru infertility is to be more aware of what I say and who I say it to. You know , like when you are trying to have a baby people are like..."Are yall ever going to have kids?" or when people find out we have foster kids and an adopted child they say, "Do you have any of your own?" Well I adopted her, doesnt that make her my own???? Love the "Just relax! Then you will get prego." or "Just watch, you'll get prego after you adopt! It always happens that way." Or.."So, who has the problem, you or him?" REALLY????? To clarify, we both have the "problem", as we are married and share this journey together!! No matter how we relax or how many we adopt, pregnancy won't "just happen" for us, we are unable to get pregnant without treatment..period. Sure we pray for miracles and I am sure for some people miracles happen naturally after years of trying but for us, our miracle or miracles will happen as a result of a successful treatment and there is nothing wrong with that, as I know and love many miracles conceived thru fertility procedures.
Now, I don't usually have pity parties for myself, as we've been going thru infertility for six years now, but it can be very challenging for me in particular to be in a room of women talking about pregnancy and how special it is...how it felt to feel the baby move, how hard it is to find cute maternity clothes, breast milk vs formula and of course vaginal vs csection? lol As a nurse, I'm pretty helpful with some topics, but as an infertile woman, some topics are just void to me at this time, as I havent experienced it for myself. But , this is where faith comes in.....I can feel sad that I can't join in these conversations, feel angry that at age 34 I have yet to endure a successful pregnancy, but also feel joy, knowing that my God will provide the desires of our hearts, and yes, I and we feel so blessed to have our girls and to have loved and cared for so many babies, but of course the overwhelming desire to carry at least one successful pregnancy is prevalent in our minds and hearts....more in mine I would say, as a woman.
The comments that are made around me are usually innocent, as noone really understands infertility unless they are , or have gone thru it but it's made me more aware of what I say to people....I dont ask if a couple is ever going to have kids and I don't say a child looks more like mom than dad or vice versa unless I know they didnt use fertility to get prego...as who knows if they used donor eggs, sperm or embryos? With one simple comment to someone else, you can break their heart in a million pieces...thank God we can lean on Him and give him our hurts and desires.
Infertility is more prevalent nowadays....Rosie Pope on the reality show "Pregnant in Heels" has endured infertiliy and has been going thru IVF....the reality show "The Little Couple" are also going thru infertility and are going to be using a surrogate mom to carry their embryos. There was a reality show awhile back that I watched," Quints by Surprise", awesome Christian family Ethan and Casey Jones, who used donor sperm and did IVF to produce quintuplets. And you can never forget "Jon and Kate Plus Eight" who did IUI's to conceive all of their kiddos due to infertility. There are so many stories out there that aren't even spoke about that are enduring infertility...just makes you more cautious of what you say and how you say it. People ask me why I'm sharing our story....it's because I'm not ashamed of it. God has brought many so so so many blessings from infertility....I'll never be ashamed to share our story and yes, I have my husband's approval to do so...Matt is quiet in his struggle and no, he doesn't like talking about it, but he does realize that God has worked in this situation. If I can touch one person who needs it, be a support and inspiration as well, be used by God thru our journey, than we have succeeded.
Keep the faith!
6 comments:
Oh lori, you nearly made me cry sweetie. I know the struggles that you have because they are my struggles too...I love you and Matt so much. I certainly know what you mean about what other people are saying about the feelings that they have and sometimes I want to know what it feels like too.. i have a tendency to be the one asking so whats that like? I know that it is going to happen for you....
miriam
I <3 you too, Miriam! So thankful God put you in our lives!! Thank you for your kind words! I know it will happen for you as well...you will be an awesome mommy! :)
Oh sweetie, you are such an inspirations that I don't even know where to start. Infertility is such a constant open wound that it is so very hard to explain to those that have not gone through it.
IF has brought us together and like you we are not ashamed of it and we like to share our journey.
I know that God has a miracle for you and it's just a matter of time for it to happen.
I love you guys and I'm always praying for you.
It saddens me that we have to walk this path but it has brought us together and that I can't be upset about.
Hang in there sweetie.
Sending you all my love, always!
oh Wanessa, i totally agree..i cant be upset about IF since it has brought me so so many blessings, including you! i agree with all you said and i love you guys too and appreciate your prayers...one day we will put all our babies together for a huge visit!! hugs to you my dear friend!
I said it before and I'll say it again...no need to explain yourself. I think most people who have never dealt with infertility or never known anyone who has just don't see the cruel and hurtful comments that just penetrate your soul and scar you. I will never understand, but dealing with these issues with Lindsey and now with you my eyes are opened to the reality that this is so prevalent in our little world. I pray that God can use you to touch someone out there who reads your words. You will be her support. You are a strong woman and I am blessed to be a part of your life and your family. Thanks for sharing.
Jenn..sorry it took so long to get your post..I havent been feeling like blogging..so many bfn's lately...thank u so much for your kind words..I am blessed to know you my friend as well and pray God always keeps us close in heart no matter how many miles fall between us...love you!
Post a Comment